1st Bn., 9th Mar., Dragon Plt. Weblog

A Bulletin Board for 1/9 Dragons and that 81(Woody) more are welcome

20030131

Dave, what do you mean taking ourselves too seriously. That's what you get when you start
talking world politics and religion. Very serious conversation. And to tell you the truth there
just isn't enough serious conversation going on in society today. We are told that those views
we espouse are just our opinion, and what makes our opinion any more right than somone elses.

Well, where would the US be today if our founding fathers had kept their opinions to themselves
when they were considering the formation of this great country we live in. I would bet my life, there
was heated debate in those discussions that puts the post on this Blog to shame. Too many today
shy away from serious debate today for fear of offending someone. Well, there really is a right and
wrong in most situations, but the liberals of the world want to color everything gray and say that there
are no absolutes. Horsehuey!!

Remember the great quote from Patrick Henry, "Give me Liberty or Give me death" Well check out the
context in which he phased that great quote.(I copied this next paragraph from something I read recently.)

Patrick Henry, who is called the firebrand of the American Revolution, is still remembered for his words,
"Give me liberty or give me death." But in current textbooks the context of these words is deleted. Here
is what he said: "An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our
battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the
strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

That man knew where he stood and he knew that there are some absolutes that govern this life that we all
have the pleasure of participating in. But today, anytime you start talking absolutes, you quickly find yourself
in the middle of great oppostion. I realize that when talking about world politics as opposed to religion, this
idea of absolutes can almost be thrown out with the bathwater because everyone has an agenda. But the point I
am making is that deep, introspective debate about matters that have influence in all of our lives, directly or indirectly,
is not something that should be shied away from. Just keep it in perspective, and remember that everyone has a
right to their own opinion, no matter how wrong it may be.

Semper Fi